5 Tips to Improve Your Email Marketing
You may have heard all kinds of disparate predictions regarding the demise of email marketing, but what the evidence shows is that it’s still an integral component of your online marketing mix, both now and in the future. As reported by Sign-Up.to’s 2013 UK Email Marketing Benchmark Report, there has been a solid increase in average email open rates, rising from 18.35 percent to 21.47 percent in the last 12 months. Also, (and more exciting) the average return on your email marketing investment is currently a mind-numbing $44.25 for each dollar spent. (iContact)
So how can you take advantage of this in your small business?
Here are 5 easy tips to get your email marketing efforts heading in the right direction!
- Create great subject lines – Headlines do matter, as your open rates will tank if you overlook this aspect. Invest time to craft a subject line that makes people want to open your email. This is usually a combination of curiosity, excitement, urgency, beneficial and spam compliant.
- Write engaging content – Make certain your emails are not only written to engage, but are also delivering great content unique to your brand. Over-deliver when it comes to giving out pearls of wisdom, as that is presumably why they’re subscribed to and following you in the first place, correct?
- Incorporate social media – This is a simple way to spread your emails around, especially those with terrific content. Implement social sharing buttons in your emails, and encourage your users to use them. This can result in easy new opt-ins.
- Deliver mobile-friendly emails – Now that 64 percent of decision makers read their email on their mobile device,(TopRankBlog) and the average person checks their smartphone some 34 times a day, isn’t it time to make sure your emails are mobile friendly?
- Send email more often – This is one we often balk at. No one wants to keep ticking off people who don’t want to read your messages. Sure, if you’re selling some shiny new object every email. Definitely make sure to keep sending excellent content that people simply can’t wait to read. Copyblogger reports that very often your unsubscribes actually decrease if you mail more frequently.